Industrial Glue Stick Guns
Glue stick guns (also known as hot glue guns) are extremely popular adhesive solutions for use in both domestic and industrial environments. These devices heat sticks of hot melt adhesive to a liquid state. Users apply this hot glue to their application and then allow it to cool, forming a strong adhesive bond in the process.
Adhesive sticks used in hot glue guns are most often composed of thermoplastic polymers whose properties allow it to efficiently melt and resolidify. This polymer material is also highly versatile, and many different compounds can be added to modify the adhesive’s properties. Glue guns can also operate at a range of different temperatures, which allows them to be used on delicate or sturdy materials depending on the user’s needs.
Glue stick guns are cost-effective and intuitive tools used to precisely apply adhesives in a wide range of scenarios. Glue sticks can be bought in bulk to drastically cut adhesive costs, and they require minimal training to successfully use.
Hot melt guns work best when used in indoor applications that will not be exposed to extremely high temperatures. They’re most commonly used to attach thin or delicate materials to thicker, sturdier objects, although this is not always the case.Industries that most commonly use glue guns include:
- Furniture assembly
- Shipping and packaging
Key Benefits of Glue Stick Guns
No matter the industry, glue stick guns bring many benefits to the production process, including:
- Versatility: Hot melts are available in a wide range of formulations, which can help you achieve different melt patterns and properties.
- Cost efficiency: Once you’ve identified the best adhesive for your project, you can buy hot glue sticks in bulk to reduce their per-unit cost.
- Ease of use: Hot melt glue guns are very easy to use—operators just point them where they’re required and let the glue do the rest. What’s more, glue sticks require no special storage conditions; as long as the temperature in their storage environment is not above their melting point, they can withstand a variety of conditions.
- High quality: When used properly, hot melt glue guns form very strong bonds that can withstand a high degree of time and wear.
Where to Use Hot Melt AdhesivesIt’s hard to find a substrate that hot glue can’t work with. Manufacturers and laypeople alike use hot melt glue guns on a wide variety of materials, such as:
- Plastic and other synthetic materials
Despite its versatility, there are a few areas in which hot melts are less effective. Certain combinations of materials, such as fabric with metal or woods with brick, don’t bond as well as other combination options.
The high temperatures with which these adhesives must be applied pose another challenge. Molten adhesives can reach temperatures as high as 248°F (120°C), which can damage sensitive or delicate materials. Hot melt adhesive also does not perform well in harsh corrosive environments or in rapidly fluctuating environmental conditions, and extremely cold temperatures can cause glue to become brittle and crack.
Industrial Glue Sticks from Adhesive & Equipment, Inc.
Adhesive & Equipment, Inc., carries a wide range of industrial hot glue guns that work in many different environments. We build four main types of glue guns, and each provides superior performance in its intended application.
For questions about which model or adhesive will be most effective for your application, feel free to contact us today.